Preferred AHEDA Captioning Provider
Accessibility Framework for the Home Entertainment Film Industry
Objectives of this Framework
The Australian Home Entrainment Distributors Association (AHEDA), as the association representing the home entertainment film and TV industry in Australia, affirms its commitment to making available access features including English captioning (CC) and audio description (AD) on its products where possible.
The objectives of this Framework are to:
- Promote the availability of access features for deaf and blind people and those with a vision or hearing impairment on titles released in Australia; and
- Promote the use of clear and consistent labelling of DVDs that provide access features.
AHEDA members are not always able to include certain access features for a number of reasons including:
- The DLT master is sourced from overseas without access features and cannot be changed for Australian distribution;
- English captioning or Audio Description does is not available; or
- The additional files containing English captioning or Audio Description cannot fit onto a DVD due to memory restrictions inherent in this technology.
However, AHEDA members are committed to increasing the amount of product available in Australia with access features and have already undertaken steps to educate, promote, accurately label and include features on Australian DVDs.
In seeking to meet its Objectives, AHEDA members will apply the following principles:
- Where an audio described version has been produced in another region and is made available for the Australian DLT and is technically and legally able to be included, members will release those DVD titles with audio description;
- Members will advocate with their suppliers of DLT masters that access features should be included on DLTs for the Australian market;
- Where an English captioned version has been produced in another region and is made available for the Australian DLT and is technically and legally able to be included members will release those DVD titles with English captions;
- If captioned for television broadcast is made available to the distributor in a file format that is compatible and at a reasonable price members will release DVDs of Australian television programs with English captions;
- If captioned for cinematic release and the captions are provided for the home entertainment distributor by the producer and the producer approves of the changes / additions members will release DVDs of Australian feature films with English captions;
- If audio described for cinematic release and the AD are provided for the home entertainment distributor by the producer and the producer approves of the changes / additions members will release DVDs of Australian feature films with audio description;
- Members will ensure that access terminology is consistent across AHEDA membership and thus the industry. Recommended terms are:
- English captions; and
- English audio description.
- Members will ensure that access logos are consistent with the internationally recognised logos for audio description and captioning. These logos have been adopted by AHEDA and circulated to all AHEDA members;
- Members will ensure that access feature placement is consistently located on DVD sleeves and that maximum colour contrast is considered in the design. A template with the logos has been sent to all AHEDA members; and
- Members will ensure that correct information about access features is provided on member websites.
In addition to promoting these Principles within its membership AHEDA will also:
- Liaise with non-AHEDA members and DVD information providers on the importance of correct accessibility feature information availability; and
- Encourage non-AHEDA members to adopt similar principles in relation to accessibility.
AHEDA will update its website and make this Accessibility Framework for the Home Entertainment Film Industry available for viewing and download.
AHEDA will also respond to queries in relation to this Framework and respond on behalf of members to complaints about accessibility of specific DVD titles where access features were available overseas and not in Australia.
Art files for industry download and use:
AHEDA has developed standards around access feature labelling and placement on DVDs and has made available artwork files for download.
1AHEDA members include: Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Anchor Bay, Madman Entertainment, Paramount Home Entertainment, Roadshow Entertainment, Fremantle Media Australia, Hopscotch Entertainment, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Time-Life Australia, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Universal Pictures Video, Warner Home Video.